Kia Goossen, Skylark Therapy LtdMaster’s of Occupational Therapy
Kia completed her Master’s of Occupational Therapy from the University of Manitoba in 2017. While completing her Master’s degree Kia had fieldwork placements in a school and an inpatient paediatric mental health unit. Kia has a passion for children, which has been evident in her Occupational Therapy career, and also in her work prior to becoming an Occupational Therapist. As an Occupational Therapist, Kia has worked in community, schools, outpatient mental health and inpatient mental health. Prior to becoming an Occupational Therapist she also briefly worked as a Behavioural Interventionist, and had various other positions working with children and youth. Kia has experience working with children with a variety of diagnoses, including Autism Spectrum Disorder, Sensory Processing Disorder, ADHD, Down’s Syndrome, Anxiety Disorder, Depression, Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders, Cerebral Palsy, Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, and other genetic, neurological and developmental conditions. Kia’s areas of consultation have included: sensory processing, emotional regulation, cognitive behavioural therapy, dialectical behavioural therapy principles, executive functioning, social skills, environmental adaptations, fine motor skills, gross motor skills, visual-motor integration, self-care skills and group therapy.
Kia works from a strengths-based and client-centered approach. She believes working together with the family, and building a strong rapport and connection with both the family and child lead to the best outcomes for the child.
Kia has taken additional courses to supplement her education, these include but are not limited to:
• DIR Floortime 101 and 201
• Cutting Edge Interventions for Improving Executive Functioning
• Occupational Therapy and Self-Injurious Behaviours in Children
• Cognitive Behavioural Therapy: More Walk Less Talk
• Foundations to Motivational Interviewing
• Several additional webinars on Autism, Sensory Processing and Trauma
Kia is registered as an Occupational Therapist with the College of Occupational Therapists of British Columbia (COTBC). She is also a member of the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT).
Occupational Therapists work together with the child and family in order to increase the child’s
participation in activities of daily living (such as self-care, productivity and leisure activities).
Occupational therapists use a client-centred, strengths based approach to best support their
clients. Occupational therapists can help with barriers that affect a person's emotional, social,
and physical needs. To do this, they provide strategies, tools and education to best support the
Occupational Therapists assist the client holistically and support clients with a variety of
difficulties and disorders.
Occupational Therapists work with a variety of disorders, such as:
• Autism Spectrum Disorder
• Chromosomal/Genetic Disorders (such as Trisomy 21)
• Learning Disorders
• Mental health diagnoses such as Anxiety and Depression
• Sensory Processing Disorder
• Developmental Delay (such as Global Developmental Delay)
• Developmental Coordination Disorder
• Children without a diagnosis, but who require support with a certain developmental
area (please see list below)
Occupational Therapy Interventions focus on some of the following areas:
• Sensory Processing
• Emotional Regulation
• Support with Anxiety/Depression Management
• Social Skills
• Fine Motor Skills (pencil grasp, printing, hand strength, hand dominance, bilateral
• Gross Motor Skills (Balance, motor planning, coordination, strength)
• School Engagement/Readiness
• Attention and Executive Functioning
• Visual Motor Integration, Visual perception and Visual processing
• Self-Care Skills (such as feeding, dressing, bathing, toileting and sleeping)
Do you think Occupational Therapy would be a good fit for your child and family?
• If so, please connect with us at either firstname.lastname@example.org or at 604-931-8546. We
offer a free 20 minute initial consultation with our Occupational Therapist to determine
if Skylark Occupational Therapy is the right fit for you.
“I have been using Skylark services and Agnes Gradowski has been my daughter's Speech Therapist for a number of years. Agnes has been a great therapist and has helped my daughter a great deal with reading comprehension, math, life skills, problem solving skills, and much more. Agnes is a great and wonderful therapist and person, very professional, very patient with my daughter. My daughter feels very comfortable working with Agnes and I am very happy with my daughter's progress over the years, and I am so greatful to Agnes and Skylark for their services.”